The Brickworks Museum

vintage_brickworks_arial

Bursledon Brickworks was founded in 1897 by the Ashby family. The Ashbys were partners in Hooper & Ashby, successful builders merchants in Southampton. They also made bricks. The first brickyard was at Chandlers Ford but when an opportunity to start making bricks at Bursledon arose they jumped at it. There was abundant clay at the new Bursledon site and very good transport links by both rail and river. In 2012 the museum was awarded a Heritage Lottery Fund grant of £666,300. This grant was awarded to help create the museum. Bursledon Brickworks Museum Trust was registered in 2015 and now runs the museum.